In class on Tuesday, we’re going to start building a timeline of Albany history using Wikipedia as a starting reference. For the homework due on Thursday February 4, choose two of the Wikipedia pages from our timeline (links available either through the spreadsheet we edited or under the images in the timeline itself).
Investigate the Wikipedia articles’ Talk pages–these are accessible through the Talk tab at the top of each article. Remember that we are not talking about the Article portion of the Wikipedia page!
Comment below and discuss:
- What are the major points of discussion on the Talk page? For example, in the War of 1812 Talk page, there is a conflict over whether to characterize America, Canada or Britain as the aggressor in the war. How do users on the Talk page attempt to resolve these disputes?
- Do your example Talk pages illustrate any of the concerns in today’s reading (The Historian’s Craft, Popular Memory, and Wikipedia by Robert Wolff)?
- Remember that your comments are graded on correct grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- One point of extra credit (one point max) if you’re the first person to post about a page no one else has mentioned yet.
- Reply to one other student’s post about the similarities between what was discussed on your Talk pages and what the other student describes in theirs. You’ll lose one point off of ten if you don’t make a comment replying to another student!