For Tuesday’s homework, choose two of the projects below and explore (I recommend one from 1-5 and one from 6-10). You don’t need to try to see every single page or item in the project, but click around enough to get a sense of what the project is about.
- UAlbany Campus Buildings Historical Tour
- The Normal School Company & Normal School Company History
- State Street Stories
- Black and Free
- Valley of the Shadow
- Arabella Chapman Project
- Mapping Segregation
- Digital Harlem
- The Negro Traveler’s Green Book
- Visualizing Emancipation
In your comment below, discuss:
- Who is the audience for each of your two projects? How can you tell? Is the audience more specific than “people interested in history” or “people interested in African American history”?
- What kind of interactivity is there? Think back to our discussion and reading about social media. How do you as the visitor interact with the project besides just reading it? Do your two projects differ in the kind of interactivity they allow?
- Did you have any frustrations in navigating or trying to interact with the project? If you came across the project outside of a class, how would your frustrations have affected the amount of time you spent on that website?
- Reply to another student who discussed one of the same projects you selected, and discuss any similarities or differences you experienced with the project’s interactivity or your frustrations with it.